Well, it's coming up to a year since my transplant. I have recently returned from a week's holiday in Istanbul and am nursing a nice cough. It appears that my immune system does not like any serious divergence from my usual activities and punishes me with a cold. Cough, cough, cough! Istanbul was fabulous and fantastic and so Turkish. I will never forget the daytime boat ride on the Bosporhorus and seeing the porpoise breaching the turbulent waterway or the evening trip with the cacophony of sound and glaring lights.
I don't have to go back to the hospital until August. All bloods have continued to be 'perfect' for the last 9 months or so. The threats of CMV and Epstein Barr remain dim memories and I have been off the immunosuppressants since December. I have gained over 2 stones in weight (which my consultant thinks is a good thing but I had got quite happy with being skinny) and now have a head of snowy white, curly hair. It's all a far cry from 18 months ago when I was told there was maybe an 8% chance of my making it!
I have since found out that the two women of a similar age to me that were treated around the same time did not make it. RIP Gabrielle and Bernadette. I am very fortunate to be here.
Monday, 18 June 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment